Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Everyday Distraction

It was Saturday and I had a precious morning free. I eagerly gathered my cup of coffee, a cozy blanket, and a book and cuddled into the corner of the couch with a happy sigh. 

I was envisioning a quiet, calm, undistracted time to finish reading my book about *ahem* the value of the ordinary and routine. 

The dog jumped up next to me.  Adjustments made.
My husband sat beside me and began chatting. I looked up from my book.
From the other corner of the room, the boys began to get rowdy and one was tossed to the ground. I couldn’t concentrate.

*sigh*

More noise, distraction, interruptions. I couldn’t make it through a page.
“Mom, can I…?”
“Mom, should we….?”
“Mom, can you tell him to…?”

I put my book down and looked up at the innocent faces surrounding me. I asked this question: “Do you all agree that this is not a time when I can read my book? Should I just put my book away?”
They all deciphered my questions to mean that I would really like some quiet time.
They quieted down.

I turned back to my book and immediately read these timely words:

“I have come to believe that the true mystics of the quotidian [ordinary, commonplace] are not those who contemplate holiness in isolation, reaching godlike illumination in the serene silence, but those who manage to find God in a life filled with noise, the demands of other people and relentless daily duties that can consume the self.”
The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy, and “Woman’s Work”p.70

I read it out loud to Travis.
He laughed; I highlighted it.

Isn't that is the challenging truth of life: Learning to live out holiness must occur in the midst of everyday distractions. 

A spotless kitchen never produces a hearty meal.
A silent home never produces joyful children.
An uninterrupted life never produces sanctification.

That's the value of the everyday distraction. 


No comments: